Thursday, August 31, 2006

Seoul Man



I saw a doctor yesterday about my stomachache. He prescribed a medicine and told me to come in 3 weeks. I didn't have pain last night. I hope it's improving.....I have a "drinking appointment" tomorrow, and I'm not sure if I can resist the temptation while watching others drinking...

It seems that not only Japanese women but also women all over Asia are crazy about Korean men. According to today's Washington Post (a front page article), Korean male celebrities are huge in China, Vietnam, Taiwan and even in Mexico. The article also mentions that Daniel Dae Kim, the Korean-born actor from "Lost" was the only Asian chosen for People's magazine's "sexiest Men Alive" edition last year. A room of my 70-year-old aunt's house is like a museum of Korean soap opera actors with an extensive collection of posters, photos and videos. She now lives alone (she used to be a groovy "Modern Girl" in 60s and 70s. She gave me a lot of tailored 60s style clothes. She was one of the few Japanese traveled in Europe at that time) . Those hot Korean stars make her life lively. Actually, many Japanese middle-aged women are blessed by the Korean stars. On, gay men, too. According to the Post, in Shinjuku nichome (Tokyo's biggest gay area) there are increasing numbers of bars with names like "Seoul Man."

So, why Korean? I understand Japanese women are attracted to them because Japanese men never say "I love you." Generally speaking, Japanese men are not "romantic." Men with few words have been considered the best in Japan. Saying "I love you" could be very embarrassing. Correction. For Japanese middle-aged men it's embarrassing. For younger generations it may be a different story. Washington Post said Koreans are "the Italians of Asia." "....typically rich, kind men with coincidentally striking looks and a tendency to shower women with unconditional love" it explains. There is a quote from a director of a Korean star management company: "It's a type of character that doesn't exist much in Asian movies and television, and not it's what Asian women think Korean men are like." Ok, I got it. Korean men have Asian looks and Western style of sweetness. But this director also points that: "But to tell you the truth, I still haven't met a real one who fits that description." Hmmm. Ok, maybe it's just a fantasy.

But I remember my Korean teacher of a language class I took briefly like 10 years ago fits exactly that description. He is handsome and with a lot of sweets words for every woman. And he openly said "I love my wife." That kind of man barely exist in Japan. Really. Oh, did I mention those Korean stars usually have beautifully built body? Korea has two years mandatory military duty. Maybe it adds some attraction to them.

Having said all of these, I still think Singaporean boys are the cutest. Hong Kong actors are the second. I love Tony Leung!!

1 comment:

vuboq said...

Ha! I sent Jake that WaPo article, and he was, like, "damn! I left Japan too soon."

I remember hearing a rumor that KimuTaku is Korean (or Japanese-Korean). Jake denies it. What do you know?