Friday, August 11, 2006

A drop of sake is a drop of your own blood


It's a busy Friday. Damn. I want be relaxed on Friday....But I'll go to happy hour with my friends after work. I should wrap up my works early and be ready for drinks, drinks and more drinks....

I love alcohol. Yey. All kind. My most favorite is "Awamori," an alcoholic beverage inidigenous and unique to Okinawa, Japan. It is distilled from rice, not brewed. Vintage Awamori, "Ku-su," is especially fantastic. My most memorable alchohol beverage is..."Lao-lao" which I tried in a mountainous village in Laos. It is distilled from sticky rice, and believed to be the origin of Awamori. No wonder I loved it. Some local women were making Lao-lao in an old oil drum....Another memorable one is home-made vodka some drunk workers offered me in the Trans-Siberian Express back in 80s when I was traveling across the former Soviet Union. Now you know how much I love alcohol.

Oh, I shouldn't forget Korean wine "Makkori." (I don't know how to spell in English) It is a kind of unrefined sake. I haven't had it for ages....I miss it.

My favorite Japanese proverb (or maybe my drunk college friend made it up). "A drop of sake is a drop of your own blood." So, you never waste any single drop of sake.

Now I feel drunk. I must go back to work.

No comments: