Thursday, August 10, 2006

house husbands


Last night, I had beer & dinner with a Japanese journalist who's been here for past 25 years. I was surprised to hear that he was planning to give up his career here and move back to Japan...for a woman he fell in love. I said, "wow." He may be ready to go back to Japan after 25 years living in a foreign soil. He has more than enough experience and talent to start new career in Japan. But still, you know, "love" has made him decide. And he looked very very happy.

I broke up boyfriends for my career in the past. And now I'm married to a guy who I don't have to give up my career and my own life for. Maybe I'm lucky. Or am I selfish? Maybe I've never loved anyone more than myself. Hmmm. Well, but I think he, a Japanese journalist, has made the decision for himself, too. Maybe he thought being with her would improve his life. It may not be a sacrifice (BTW, this movie "Sacrifice" is one of my most favorites. I admire Andrei Tarcovsky) . I'm officially confused.

According to the article I found recently in a Japanese magazine, there are about 80,000 "house husbands" in Japan. Impressive change of the Japanese society. This article also mentions the statistics in US...."house husbands" often have shorter lives than "working men," likely because of more stress. Huh.

BTW, the photo is a shoe I want now.

1 comment:

diablo said...

shoes are more reliable then men. so the real question is would you go back to japan for the right pair of shoes? i think i know the answer.