Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Big boobs, small boobs and my scar-faced yakuza boob


According to an article in a Japanese magazine, Iranian women do nose jobs to make them smaller. And Iranian men think small boobs are sexier. I'm sooooo going to Iran once the government abandon nukes! Yes, I have teeny tiny boobs as all Japanese women used to. These days, those pin-up girls on Japanese men's magazines all have huge boobs...and they are teenagers, sometimes even 13 years old! Japanese straight men have kind of obsession with those "innocent" girls with big boobs (and no big nipples are accepted). Or is it universal?

Ahem, this post is getting a little inappropriate. What I wanted to say was that the definition of beauty could vary in different cultures. One day, in a lady's room in my office building, this woman from an office on the same floor told me "oh, we were talking about you today. You look like Sandra Oh, the actress who appears in Gray's Anatomy." "Um, well, I'm not very happy about that," I replied. She looked surprised. "Why???? She's very attractive." Ok. I believe that from most Asian people's view, she is not very beautiful. Like Lucy Liu. All of my Japanese and Taiwanese friends say she is kind of ugly. So, please be careful to make compliments to someone from different culture. I should note that I did appreciate that woman's compliment. I'm in the U.S., where people consider Sandra Oh attractive, after all.

I remember this guy I dated briefly (very briefly) long time ago. On the second date, he said "You're beautiful." I said "I don't think so." Then he went, "well, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I immediately dumped him.

Oh, about my scar-faced yakuza boob. I had surgical biopsy called "wire localization biopsy" in July. Thank Buddha, it turned out to be benign. Girls, don't forget annual mammography. It saves your life. I know it's humiliated and a lot of pain. Nurses always exclaim "Oh, it's so difficult...because your breats are so small...oops, sorry." Huh. I hope someone eventually invents mammo equipment for small breasts. But seriously. 1 out of 8 women in the U.S is diagnosed with breast cancer. Studies show that Asian women living in the U.S. have almost the same level of risk.

No comments: