Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Dear Earthlink, your customer service is VERY BAD

OK, I’ve decided to be wise enough. Maybe I should invest in cable instead….

 

This morning, I received an e-mail from Earthlink. It said that a monthly fee for dial-up Internet service of $9.95 is past due. I canceled my account of this Internet provider in August. So I called customer service. The customer service, Jim (I don’t think this is his real name. I believe their customer service is outsourced to India), said when I called the customer service in August to cancel my account, I agreed to accept an offer to continue using the service. I said “I DID NOT accept any offer. I just canceled my account.”

Jim: “Yes, you did agree to accept the offer. You have to pay $9.95.”

Me: “I said, I DID NOT. I have Verizon DSL. Why should I accept an offer to continue using your service? Don’t you think it’s your mistake?’

Jim: “Again, you agreed to accept the offer. You owe us $9.95. Do you understand?”

Me: “I need to talk to your manager.”

Jim: “Oh, ok, I’ll close your account.”

Me: “What is your name, please?”

Jim: “Jim. It spells J.I.M.”

Me: “I know how to spell Jim.”

Jim: “Oh, yeah?”

Me: “OK, but I still need to talk to your manager about your customer service.”

Jim: “Why? I’ve already closed your account.”

(this exchange was repeated more than 5 times)

Me: “CAN I TALK TO YOUR MANAGER, PLEEEAAASE?”

Jim: “OK”

(15 minutes later…….)

Danny the manager: “May I help you?”

 

After a looooong conversation with Danny, I finally got an apology and an e-mail, which is almost incomprehensible because of lots of misspelling, to confirm the cancelation of my account.

I’m sure I’ll receive another bill from Earthlink next month.

2 comments:

vuboq said...

GAH! How frustrating.

Y'know, if you were feeling really bitchy, you could send that email (with all it's misspellings) to Earthlink's corporate office and ask why they are hiring people who can't write well.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with these customer service representative people ?
I have been getting billed for $25.00 every month from Verizon DSL instead of $17.00 Every month !!
It's really a pain trying to talk actual human. For some reason, they are very hard to reach.... after yelling at my phone "BILLING!" "BILLING!" for millions of times, you ended up getting the recorded message saying their office is closed at 6 pm or whatever... Why do they have to wait until making me go through all this ! I just don't get it. VERIZON DSL SUCKS ! I am seriously considering switching to Comcast. But based on my getting-cable-service-saga, they suck too ! I miss JAPAN so much.