Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Trip to New England


I visited Rhode Island and Connecticut from 15th to 18th. It was a business trip, but I had some good time. In Rhode Island, I stayed in Newport one night. It was a beautiful day, and Seafood Festival was being held at the ocean front area. Since I didn't have any appointments until the evening, I decided to have some drinks with lunch. I enjoyed Sunday Afternoon Margarita Newport Edition....alone. I text-messaged Roberto. He said he was cleaning. Boo-hoo!

I stayed at Jailhouse Inn, a cozy B&B , which used to be the old Newport County jailhouse. My room had two bedrooms with big windows. I had a late dinner at a bar/grill next door "A&O Fish." It was a find. Great martinis, sophisticated dishes, and cute chatty bartender. There even was a real fireplace. The bartender said the bar was the second oldest house in Newport.

Next day I stayed in Providence. My hotel choice was right this time too.The hotel "Dolce Villa" was located in the middle of Little Italy (the photo was taken in front of the hotel). I didn't know Rhode Island had such a large Italian community. I wish if I had more time to walk around there. The hotel was actually for a long stay, and all rooms were suits. My room had a living room with a full kitchen, a bedroom (with memory foam beds), sleep sofas also with memory foam, Jacuzzi(!), flat screen TVs, DVD, VCR, and CD players, free High Speed Internet, free popcorn, hot chocolate and biscotti (ok, enough advertisement. I promised the hotel manager I'd blog about his hotel). Rooms were all in white. It was cool. There was a cafe/restaurant/bar next door (Cafe Dolce Villa). The bar had excellent martinis. I also found a little Italian pastry shop nearby. It had a great Cappuccino and biscotti. We need that kind of a little cozy cafe with homemade sweets in DC.....

I didn't have much luck in Connecticut. I arrived at hotel around 10:30pm, exhausted from long driving in a heavy rain. After I checked in, I immediately asked concierge what time the bar would close. She said 11:00pm. I rushed to the room, closed the door, then, fire alarm started. All guests were kicked out from the hotel. We were allowed to go back around 10:50. I rushed to the bar, it was closed. Aghhhhhh!!!! I begged to the bartender: "I just arrived and the alarm started. I'm exhausted. I need drinks!" The bartender: "I'm sorry, mom. We've already closed the bar. And I don't have a key." I hated him.

There was some fun in Connecticut, too. I visited Pez factory. Yeah, there were tons of petz candies and various kinds of heads. I made friends with some British reporters. We'll hang out sometime after the midterm election. I had a dinner at a local diner, I don't even remember the name, somewhere in Wilton, CT, and the dinner was enormous. Three huge stuffed peppers, rice, broccoli, bread, and garden salad. It was just $9. It was amazing. I couldn't finish even half of it.

Ok, now you think I just enjoyed staying at nice hotels (FYI, all stays cost less than $130 per night), dining good food and drinking heavily. I DID work, too, but I can't write about something related to my job. I'm now in the process of organizing thoughts for my article. I love my job more if I don't have to write articles.....sigh.

No comments: