Thursday, February 28, 2008

San Antonio

Whew. I finally have time to open my laptop. I'm at Dallas airport drinking dirty martini. 30 minutes until my flight to DC.

This two day business trip was crazy. Yesterday morning I went to DOS to cover morning briefing. I left there at 10:30am, hopped on a cab and headed for National Airport to catch 12:30pm flight to San Antonio, TX. I arrived in San Antonio around 5pm, rented a car, headed to the hotel, did a brief phone interview, grabbed cold terrible sandwiches and drove an hour to San Marcos. I covered Obama rally there. About 10,000 people were there, I guess. I did some interviews with Latino voters there, waited for Obama, took photos and listened to him for 2 and half hours, freezing. It was warm during the day but cold at night.

At 11:00pm, exhausted, I decided I could not possibly go to sleep without booze. I grabbed some beer at a liquor store near Texas State University surrounded by college kids who were very excited after seeing Obama. I drove back to the hotel, and arrived there around midnight. It was too late to catch Project Runway rerun. I drank, took a warm bath and went to bed.

This morning, I woke up at 7am, had a cup of coffee, dropped by at Hillary campaign office only to find out nobody there and did an interview with a regional counselor of Latino organization. I left there and drove to the airport to catch 12:30pm flight.

My biggest regret was that I didn't have enough time to explore San Antonio.....even with a glance from a car window, the city looked very interesting and beautiful. It reminded me a town in Uruguay. I hope I can go back there someday.....

OK, now I need to go to the gate.

3 comments:

diablo said...

maybe we can plan a trip with mike g and hang out in SA. we can stay at my sister's place in san marcos nearby or if stay at by brother in law pied a terre if we plan it when he's not in town. SA is a fun town except at the height of summer when it's unbearably hot and humid…

diablo said...

oops! pardon the typos. guess i should proofread before posting :)

em nadim said...

the exciting life of a journalist.